A JAMA-published study concluded that “among medically evacuated US military combat causalities in Afghanistan, blood product transfusion prehospital or within minutes of injury was associated with greater 24-hour and 30-day survival than delayed transfusion or no transfusion. The findings support prehospital transfusion in this setting.”
The study authors are:
- Joint Trauma System, Defense Center of Excellence for Trauma, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas
- Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio.
- US Army Aeromedical Research Laboratory, Fort Rucker, Alabama.
- Armed Forces Medical Examiner System, Dover Air Force Base, Delaware.
- Army Trauma Training Department, Miami, Florida.